Stumbled across the news that my old stomping grounds school district is moving to a 1:1 iPad initiative in some grades. A little internet digging, and I found some impressive information about their program. They’ve really thought this through, they’ve articulated WHY the technology is being used, and what the learning outcomes will be.
- My Way
Basic information about the project
- My Way Presentation
PDF of what I assume is a presentation they use for parents, school board, etc.
A few quotes and thoughts from the presentation:
- “Each student has access to digital curriciulum via essential personal mobile learning device.” (empahsis mine)
- Strong emphasis on personalized learning: “The paradigm shift to a personalized learning experience is the process of contouring learning to individuals, recognizing that individuals inherently have diﬀerent strengths and weaknesses, interests and ways of learning.” – Sir Ken Robinson
- “1 to 1 programs provide for digital access and learning opportunities regardless of socioeconomic status”
- “Providing all students with 21st century skills and making education relevant to today’s world are critical to closing both the achievement gap and the global competition gap.” — Public Opinion Strategies and Peter D. Hart Research Associates (2007)
- To be really effective, teachers need to use the technology to achieve things they could not do without it.” –Ruben R. Puentedura
Huh. Makes me even more frustrated with what I’m seeing on a daily basis from my kids’ schools, and with the pushback I get from the schools when I ask about this stuff.