Will Richardson is one of my favorite bloggers. Awesome post about the Elephants in the Classroom
In summary (in my words, not his), his elephants are:
- We forget the specific content we are taught
- Students are not connecting to school – the content isn’t relevant to them
- Traditional schools don’t foster learning the way real world learning happens.
- The stuff on tests doesn’t really matter
- Grades are valued more than learning
- “Curriculum” is random (can you say calculus and no statistics? stupid)
- School is the only place subjects are taught in silos. In reality , subjects aren’t separate.
Just read Will’s post.